Saturday, August 06, 2011

The Deed is Done...

De-worming my flock, that is.

Penny & Karma

My wonderful sister, Penny, and her daughter, Alicia, came out to help me worm all of the sheep yesterday. 

"HELP!"

I don't usually use chemical dewormers but a couple of the lambs had pale eyelids so we did the whole flock.  The weather has been so horribly hot and muggy that I don't want any added stressors on the sheep.

Some took it better than others.


Penny with Kahlua & Chance
(yes, Penny has a bag of cookies stuffed down the front of her shirt!)

Notice Karma standing tied behind Penny in the first photo?  We decided that now was as good a time as any to start halter lessons on the girls that were harder to catch.


As always, that went over very well!


That's Tia Maria in the death throws.  Penny's trying to bribe her with a cookie.  Mimosa is looking on.  She's already halter trained.


Everyone else seems pretty interested in that cookie!


I absolutely love the look of total disgust on Chance's face as Tia continues to fight the halter.


Mimosa was more than willing to demonstrate how to take the cookie out of Penny's hand!


When the ewes and lambs all had their medicine, it was time to move over to the ram pen.
I'm happy to say that my beautiful "Polar Bear" will be making his new home in Oregon ~ with LOTS of beautiful new girls waiting to make his acquaintance!


For those of you who are still hoping to add some Bluff Country genetics to your flock, I've still got a couple of awesome Polar Bear sons for sale...


4 comments:

  1. Oh I wish I could have been there to help! I love animals of all shapes and sizes but those little guys of yours are so precious looking. How super you have family that are willing to come out and pitch in and it seems that the flock love your sister,(cookies and all)!
    Have a wonderful day Nancy!
    Tina xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Although the pictures are stills, not videos, I can feel the movement in every one of them. It's almost like one of those nights when it's so hot you can't sleep and you fight with the pillow! So much going on in your snaps today! Love that they want the cookies. I didn't know that was a treat for sheep (never having kept any).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great photos, your sister is such a sport to allow you to photograph her with cookies in her cleavage and dead sheep on a rope...Quite the fashion statement I must say hehe.

    Polar Bear is such a stunner...His new owners are very lucky, as are his new flock of girls.

    Blessings Kelsie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, the death throws... Great capture :-)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin