Saturday, September 03, 2011

Under Siege!


The past couple of days have brought rain and even some strong storms to the Bluff Country.


If you look closely at the upper left corner of this photo (click any image to bigify), you'll see something else that has completely taken over my place.


They may be difficult to see in these photos, but if you stepped out of my house you were likely to be bombarded by...




Great, big suckers!
They were hard to 'capture' with my camera because they move so quickly and blend in with grassy backgrounds but my entire yard was buzzing with them.  When they'd bump into the metal siding on the barn, it sounded like someone was throwing ROCKS at it.  I swear!  These guys were the size of hummingbirds!
KAZILLIONS  of them!!!

Apparently, dragonflies migrate.  I had no idea.  Although, I do know that this dragonfly 'seige' is a yearly occurance in the Bluff Country.  There's lot's of information out there, if you're interested...


BELLA says...


"There's a lot of information out there even if you're NOT  INTERESTED!  All I know is that those puppies were huge.  And FAST!!!" 

6 comments:

  1. I love Dragonflies, Nancy, but you do have an excess of them. I don't think I have ever had one fly into something around here. It's like yours are in a frenzy.
    Here,I love looking at how many different kinds there are. The colors are so beautiful. But I would not want them to swarm like a locust plague.
    Be sure you duck when they fly by...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yesterday I went out to get the mail.. YIKES~! Dragonfly invasion. There were lots of them.. At first I thought they were hummingbirds, even thou I had never seen that many hummers in one place ever. That was a very interesting video and I learned a lot by watching. I thought it was so cool to see so many dragonflies in one place. Today there is none.. I'm so glad I got to see them yesterday.. They were huge and a lot of them. Now I know they were migrating and I learned something new.. Thanks~!~!
    Have a Tiggeriffic Day~! ta ta for now from Iowa;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I've never seen so many in one spot! We get them occasionally around our pond and once in a while the zoom into the house if I don't have the screens up on the doors - Of course the get up in the skylight - John has to go get his pond skimmer and catch them to let them go.

    Glad to see you are home. T.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous9:06 PM

    Firstly, what a great pic of Bella!! Is she happy to have you home or what!?! And also, I like the dragonflies too, at least they don't bite or crawl on you! Looks like life remains exciting in the bluff country ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Bella's smile. :)

    We had lots of them on our short trip to the farm mid August, too.
    Hope you're having a wonderful Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yikes! How bizarre...but pretty neat too :-).

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin