Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Lookin' For Love...


Meet J.D.
(short for "John Deer" according to the man who surrendered this awesome dog)


JD is a three-year old, pure-bred, Red Tick Coon Hound.
I was unaware that there is another name for this breed:
Click on the link for more information about this handsome breed.

From what I have gathered, JD is a very nice example of the breed.  
He is also a very sweet, gentle boy.  He's in great shape and already neutered.  I'll be taking him to the vet on Thursday for his health check and immunizations, etc.  


There is a video on Hero's Blog, that shows how beautifully this guy moves in addition to how silly Hero is.  Oh my, he just FLOATS!
Such a beautiful dog.

The man who brought JD to me said that he was a stray.  He did say that he kept JD (so named
because he was wearing a green and yellow, John Deer collar when he was found) for several weeks and advised me that he is house trained, good with other dogs and cats, loves to snuggle and doesn't seem to have a lot of hunting instinct.  


JD was a bit timid upon first meeting me and cowered behind the man's legs.  He quickly relaxed and was soon running and playing with Hero.  I felt very sad for JD after the man who surrendered him left as all JD did was sit at the front door (all glass) or on the couch and stare out the window at the road.  He was clearly waiting for someone to come get him.  He showed no interest in food and didn't eat supper last night or breakfast this morning (until I sweetened the deal for him by adding some canned dog food to his kibble!).  Poor puppy cried into the early morning hours...


I finally got him to sleep last night by letting him UNDER THE COVERS on my bed.  He snuggled in down  by my feet (mmmmmmm!) and after a whimper or two, slept the rest of the night.  In fact, I had to wake him up this morning!

It's heart-breaking to see a dog so obviously longing for it's owner but JD is doing better today.  He hasn't cried much at all, although he does still sit at the window and look down the road.  He's warming up to me and I think he'll be great in a couple of days.  I'm hoping to get JD (and Hero!) enrolled in obedience classes in the very near future.  JD is VERY well behaved but I think it will give him more confidence and LORD knows that Hero could use a little "polish"...

:-)

Don't forget to check out the video of JD on 

I almost forgot!  
With the addition of JD (I am also STILL working on getting two other dogs rescued and transported here) and the emergence of FLEAS & TICKS, I'm desperately hoping for donations to Bluff Country Canine Rescue to help cover some of the expense.  I ordered 6 vials of flea & tick preventative/treatment last night and it was $70.00!!!  I still haven't got the heart worm medication that all the dogs should be on!  I'm hoping that since the flea & tick medicine I ordered also repels and kills mosquitoes, that will help protect them from heart worm.

I know that I really shouldn't even be trying to run a rescue, given the financial shape that I am in, but I have to do what I can to help these dogs!  Won't you please consider helping me with a cash donation so that I can continue to help homeless dogs get a second chance at a Forever home and a life filled with the love that they so freely give and so desperately want in return?

If you are able to help, you may use the "Chipin" widget on the side-bar of this blog or send checks to:

Nancy Krohn
% Bluff Country Fundraiser Account
Eastwood Bank
108 East Cedar
Houston, MN.  55943

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:38 AM

    It almost sounds like JD is far more attached to the man than a simple 'few weeks' would allow. I hope JD finds someone to love him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marilyn6:12 PM

    What a nice looking hound. I agree with jodistone - sounds like the fellow that "found" JD nows a lot about a dog that he has only had for a few weeks. I am thinking that the statement about not being good at hunting is a tip off. If the dog was suppose to be a hunting dog and won't hunt it is good that he was brought to you instead of just turned loose.
    Don't be suprised if loud noises like thunderstorms or fireworks scare him or long items (brooms, rakes) that may look like a rifle.
    I hope he gets over watching for his "master" to come back. These dogs are runners and he may try going to find his last home.
    But I am sure that you will win him over as you have with the others. T

    ReplyDelete
  3. That though has crossed my mind as well but I have to be careful not to judge if I want people to bring their dogs to me instead of just turning them lose or worse...

    So far, there have been no problems with loud noises such as the vacuum cleaner, lawn mower and I've swept and raked without upsetting JD. He's becoming quite affectionate toward me. I think he's finally figured out that the mad isn't coming back. It helps SO MUCH to have my dogs here. Tonight they all had a blast with their chew toys that dispense treats. Keeps them happy for hours!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marilyn11:27 PM

    Of course we understand you can't judge. J.D. looks like he would be a wonderful companion dog. He appears very well cared for. Glad he is settling in. I am sure your other well loved dogs help with that.
    I should have clarified that I was offering you some of our experience. Our Lilly who will be 11 this year is a hound that was found as a puppy. We feel she was left behind after failing her initial gun dog training. She is a sweetie but is terrified of fireworks or guns being shot. She is also afraid of the site of rifles and long sticks. We are fortunate that when she gets scared she runs to the house to hide rather than running off like my friends dog.
    Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin