Monday, May 28, 2007

Memorable Memorial Day....

I had the most wonderful day.
I only had to work until noon and when I got home, I changed clothes and went out to kill weeds in the pasture (the part that the sheep are NOT in. When I was done, I sat with the ewes and lambs. For hours.

I sat there for so long that even Calypso got friendly. Today's the first time that she's let me pet her. In this photo, Calypso is climbing on top of Zaria (who was lying next to me) to get petted. She liked it so much that she actually pawed at me if I stopped! ;-)
Another monster.

Now that I finally got my hands on the little monster sweet little lamb, I discovered that she is NOT moorit, after all! I can't tell for sure if she'll be fawn or mioget, but she is definitely modified. There is a distinct "metallic" look to her fleece when I part it. This should not surprise me since Calypso's dam (Savannah) is modified, as is her sire (Paco). I knew that several of Paco's other lambs are modified but hadn't realized that Calypso is too.

Yes, my hand is gross. That gives you an idea of how dirty my sheep are! They don't look dirty but there's enough natural lanolin in their fleece to hold the dirt and when I scratch and rub for hours, my hands get VERY dirty. It's sure worth it though....

I got up at 5:00 this morning and was so relaxed, sitting with the flock that I was feeling sleepy. So I layed down in the long grass. Before I knew it, I had about 6 sheep laying with (or ON!) me. Needless to say, I didn't get much rest, but it sure was fun. They're just like dogs! If I stop petting, they nudge my hand or arm to get me to pet them some more. Or Zaria or Dream would put her nose right up against my ear and BREATH into it. I'd laugh so hard that I quit feeling tired. Then the lambs decided that they could CLIMB on me. That HURTS. Time to get up.


All in all, it was a wonderful afternoon. I'm getting tired now, will head for bed. Don's back, for the week so if I'm quiet, you'll know why.....

Happy Dreams!

DREAM says......."Come back out any time you need a little Love, Mom. We'll be waiting for you!"

4 comments:

  1. I felt wonderful just reading about your wonderful afternoon! Thanks for sharing the love and peace; remember to hang on to that feeling this week while Don is home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nancy,
    I read your blog often and enjoy the lovely pictures. I'm very curious what color you think Calypso is, as I have several lambs that exhibit this metallic color in their moorit fleece. They aren't Ag and are out of the same ram. I just can't quite figure out what this color should be called. Thanks for the up close photos! Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for this post, Nancy...I can only wish for lush green to lie in with the sheep. Right now, it's just prickly brown and dry! No shade. A wasteland compared to your green fields.

    I needed that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, those little hooves can hurt! I spent a bunch of time with my goats last week, and the babies were jumping and climbing all over me. That night when I got undressed, I had about a dozen little bitty, hoof-sized bruises on my thighs!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin