Tuesday, May 16, 2006

This is NOT Yesterday's photo...


If it looks a bit familiar, TELL me about it! ;-) Actually, this is what I woke up to, after the nap I snuck in, after leaving work early (again!)











I'm discovering that many of my girls (boys too, I'm sure) are starting to shed the fleece that was left on them at shearing in March. When I rub and scratch them, bits of fleece pull right off. It apparently feels good to have the old stuff removed because my girls will stand there, quite contentedly, while I pluck away. This is the way that Shetland sheep were originally "rooed" (the proper term for the process of removing the fleece by plucking). There are two excellent articles on rooing Here and Here The ability to have it's fleece rooed is just one of the many primitive qualities that attract many breeders to this delightful breed of sheep.





Here I continue rooing the fleece on Phoebe's neck while she contentedly chews her cud. The birds love the tufts of wool I leave in the grass ~ it makes wonderful, insulated nests for their babies!

...and you thought my SHEEP were spoiled! ;-)

1 comment:

  1. And to think, I got a sunburn on the back of my neck from sitting outside at a meeting today. Sorry for your rain woes - we'll get it next week, I hear. Your Mom's day pics were adorable.

    XOX Tina

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin