Saturday, January 29, 2011

Buying Time...

This was a week from Hell.  I won't go into details as, in the end, I'm still standing.  I do want to give a huge Thank You to my Baby Sister who spent two days helping me crawl out of the quicksand.  Penny,  I know that you know what a huge difference you made in my life in just those two days.   Without going into detail, suffice it to say that I was pretty sure that my world had caved in last Tuesday.  No way to fix it this time.  Time to sell the place and cut my losses.  My dear sister, Penny, on the other hand, had other ideas.  My GOODNESS it is amazing what a well organized, focused woman can do when she sets her mind to it!  I have no idea how she did it, but Penny managed to get my life back on track and buy me some time to figure out what I want/need to do in the future.  I've got some options to look into and I've not given up yet.  I do know that something HAS to change.  I can't continue to live under this kind of stress.  Existing month to month, crisis to crisis ~ never knowing when "the other shoe" will drop, is no way to live.  Even if it does allow me to share my life with my beloved animals. 

Apparently, all the stress of the past week has taken a toll on me physically.  Yesterday, the dogs woke me up (needing to go outside) sometime before dawn.  I got up and put them out then went back to bed and slept until four fifteen in the afternoon!  The phone woke me up several times but I was so deeply asleep that I could barely pull myself to consciousness from the vivid dreams that I was having.  When I did briefly awaken, I was startled to find the room slowly spinning in circles!  The second I hung up the phone, I fell back asleep and returned to more strange, vivid dreams.  Hours later:  another phone call.  The room spinning.  Back to sleep.

When I finally awoke at four fifteen, I got out of bed.  None of my poor animals had been fed!  I ate a little yogurt, thinking perhaps the light-headedness that I was still feeling might be caused by low blood sugar, since I hadn't eaten anything all day.  I managed to get all of the animals fed and watered and only had to take one break.  Once back in the house, I had a bite to eat then spent the evening on the couch.  At some point during the evening, I had an allergy attack.  Out of the blue.  I have no idea what triggered it, but couldn't find my damn allergy medicine!  I could feel my throat swelling and was coughing so hard it felt like my throat was ripping.  I finally found an old bottle of OTC allergy liquid medicine.  Expired in 2009.  I took double the dose and sucked on a cough drop and fortunately, the attack subsided.   Not a particularly productive day ~ though I did get almost finished with the cuffs on my second pair of homespun, handknit socks!  Yes, I did complete my first pair and wore them for two days!  I'm very proud of them.
  Especially the toes.  I did the 'kitchner stitch'  close that the pattern called for and it is virtually invisible!   I made lots of mistakes knitting my first pair and ended up taking the two sets of circular needles apart and completing them separately.

So far, the second pair is going MUCH  better.   I've actually discovered a pattern to the pattern that makes it much easier to know where I am and what I'm supposed to be doing.  I hope it continues into the heel flap and turning the heel.   As I knit this second pair, I can see what I did wrong on the first pair.  I'm glad that I started the second pair as soon as I finished the first ~ while everything was still fresh in my mind.

Time to go feed the critters.  I'll try to get out with the camera today.  I'm still feeling a little bit 'off'.  My tummy's a little queasy and I feel a little light-headed.  At least the room's not spinning!

I hope you all have a nice weekend!

8 comments:

  1. It sounds like you've picked up a bug to me Nancy. Or maybe your ears aren't quite right just now? In any case, don't panic. You'll recover - you always do, right?
    Love the socks. They look so warm!
    Hop on over to my place where a little something is waiting for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, Nancy, I know how you feel. This happens to me, too, and I don't have the responsibilities you have to worry about as well. Emma is the only animal i have to feed, and she never gives up until she gets me up, no matter the time of day! At least your sheep don't jump on you when you're asleep in bed! Wishing you better times...

    Nancy in Iowa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous2:46 PM

    Nancy - If there is anything I can do, please let me know!

    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nancy, it's wonderful that you have so much love and support from friends and family to help you when you need it!! I'll continue to send positive thoughts and prayers in your direction that you continue to find the answers and your way along what sounds like a bumpy path for you right now...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Im so sorry you had such a horrible day! (Of course I knew about the week preceeding, but that day on top it all is horrendous!) Im very proud of you for being able to put it into words, and then deflect to the wonderful happy comfyness of your socks! But Im proud of you for much more than that. No matter what happens, you'll have lots of love along the way. I hope you feel better tonight, ciao mama

    ReplyDelete
  6. Time to sell the place and cut my losses.

    Oh my Nancy, I sure hope it doesn't come that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope everything works out for you as you seem to be surrounded by a wonderful circle of friends and family. Be strong and think of all of your wonderful talents, somehow it always works out in the end....hug those beautiful animals and you will find the strength;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm sending as much 'positive energy' your way as I have available, dearest girl.

    The week certainly started badly, with the loss of Daria, and it looks as though things haven't improved significantly for you - I'm so sorry!

    That said, you have a great support system, a loving family, a bright mind and a willing spirit. Which is all a good foundation to build on.

    I agree that it sounds as though you are working on a bug, or an infection. Things are almost bound to seem a little brighter once you've beat that problem. If nothing else, as my wonderful grandma used to correctly say, "This, too, shall pass..."

    Something to look forward to, I'm thinking!!

    Much, much love... we're pulling for you!

    (P.S. - great job on the socks!! I can tell that you are going to join the ranks of We, The Sock Obsessed. Welcome, sister!!)
    :D

    xoxoxoxoxox

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin