Monday, April 28, 2008

It Was a Damp and Dreary Morning......

It's cold and SNOWING this morning. I worked until mid-night (volunteered for extra hours) last night and didn't get to bed until after one o'clock in the morning. Bella woke me up around 7 am because she wanted her breakfast. I figured I may as well go check on the girls and give them some hay since it was such a yucky morning. Then, I'd probably go back to bed.
NOT!
Bluff Country Zodiak (black/bleset/iset) was busy while I was sleeping!

I was stunned! All three lambs were cleaned off and had nursed! Zodiak (like all of my girls) is SUCH a great Mom!!

I gave Zodiak a ton of cookies and then dipped the babies' cords. All Three Are GIRLS!!! I could not believe it! I even checked twice!! Three little (or not so little ~ these are healthy sized triplets!) girls. TWO of whom are HSTs!

Zodiak has given me many HST lambs (she is Dream's dam) and a vast majority of them have been girls. She also appears to be heterozygous for black. Which is nice now that I've got SO many brown factored sheep!

Unlike her mom, the little black, with a splash of white on her head, girl will carry brown ~ as well as HST genetics. Sheltering Pines Crescent Moon is the proud sire of this litter group of beautiful baby girls. I'll have to think up names that combine the "Moon" aspect, as well as the "Zodiak" (I know: I like it spelled with a K) influence of both parents when I select names for these girls. Of course, the new owners will have the final say on any name choices...

DREAM says...

"Three to go!"
Not to worry ~ Dreamer got LOTS of hugs and snuggles while I was out with Zodiak and her triplets this morning. She knows she's still my special girl!

7 comments:

  1. You have never met me, but I stumbled across your blog through some link for knitting several months ago. I find myself returning every now and then to see how you're doing. The new lambs are adorable! Glad to hear all is well with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on the new arrivals. They are gorgeous.

    Wish I could trade you our heat wave for some of that snow. It sounds luscious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gosh I don't know which HST I like better...Dream II or the masked one....such decisions! CONGRATS on the TRIP GIRLS!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, that's the way to go, three ewe lambs at once! And two HST's. Not mention all dried off and nursing. You can't get better than that. Congratulations Nancy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are walking under a lucky star! Congrats.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful lambing season you're having, Nancy! Congratulations on all the darling babies! Way to go, Zodiak!!!

    Dream will have to work awfully hard to beat all these cuties!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations!! Triplets all clean and well looked after, can't ask more than that!! Then, giving you three girls to boot!! Incredible. You have beautiful lambs!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin